Map of Axe Brue Board area, for a more detailed map visit our map page
The Axe Brue Internal Drainage Board was formed on 1st April 2012 as a result of the amalgamation of four Drainage Boards: the Lower Axe, Upper Axe, Lower Brue, Upper Brue.
The Axe and Brue Boards has existed for over 130 years since their formation in 1877 as part of the Somersetshire Drainage Act. For 300 years prior to 1877, the drainage of the areas had been supervised by the Court of Sewers and their Commissioners.
- Area of district: 30,398ha
- Number of water level control structures: 216
- Length of watercourses maintained: 601km
- Area of designated environmental interest (SSSI): 3,422ha
- No of homes/businesses within Board area: 11,118
- No. of Water Level Management Plans: 2